Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pollution or Ingenius?

I have just spent the past hour searching desperately to find my least favorite commercial - It is a commercial for NY Ink, a reality tv show. I hated it so much because it had sword swallowers and other vaudeville acts that were upsetting. Needless to say I can't find the commercial, but it really affected me at the time. Most commercials that I consider "bad" don't affect me as deeply as that one. Usually the commercials I think are bad, just are poorly made, not catchy, and I easily forget about them.

One company that markets in these so called bad commercials is Bob's Discount Furniture. However, I believe that their commercials are purposely bad - and inevitably get their name out there, and their brand. I am not a fan of their commercials, however I know in the back of my head every time I want to purchase a piece of furniture, and I want to purchase it at an inexpensive rate, I will first go to Bob's Discount Furniture. Here is a typical commercial:


This commercial is very low budget, but at the same time it gets its point across quickly. If I want something cheap, I will go to Bob's Discount Furniture.

Another low budget commercial that comes to mind when I am thinking about "bad" commercials, are the cheesy "Good ol' Tom's" commercials. This is a very similar style to the Bob's Discount Furniture, low quality with emphasis on the amount of money people will make when they bring their gold in to his pawn shop. Once again it is the owner who is in the commercial, not actors or professionals. Both commercials are focusing on how you should trust the owner, in attempt to bring them to the "first name basis" as if you know them personally.



Another ad that comes to mind when I think of "bad" commercials is the advertisement that was supposed to air during the Superbowl, but got pulled before it aired. This time I consider the ad "bad" because it seems to be in poor taste.


The "smushed" baby is in poor taste, and is probably why they pulled it before they aired it.

The question is - as much as I think these are "bad" commercials, do they catch my attention more than something that I would consider a "good" commercial? Therefore, does that mean these commercials are in a sense better than those "good" commercials - because I am remembering them and thinking about them? Therefore pollution or ingenious?





No comments:

Post a Comment